Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Spiritual Gifts

Recently, Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Palatine, IL, exhibited the following original multi-media works of Kyle Johanson, inspired by the sermon series, "Unwrapping Spiritual Gifts." Kyle gave me permission to exhibit these works here. I pray that they would minister to you and draw you close (or closer) to Jesus.

Wisdom: This work investigates our culture's "quick fix" mentality in the realm of wisdom...which is attained over time through various experiences and failures. Somewhere along the line we forgot this fact, and tried to package wisdom and impose the mentality that people should "understand everything" at a certain stage of life...I don't think this is true, so in a cheeky, cheesy way I poked fun at it with the phrase "I'm a genius!" and a book that has every answer to any question ever asked...while I believe the bible leads us to all answers we may need, I don't think it is a text book, or a twelve step program...it is real life, messy and wonderful.





Service and Voluntary Poverty: This photo was taken in Gulfport Mississippi of my friend Jeremiah. After hurricane Katrina Hit, Jeremiah moved down to a mobile home I the gulf from Arlington Heights for 9 months. He left his home, family, and financial security to work with the community of Gulfport and New Orleans as they tried to rebuild their community. His example of humility and his compassion continue to inspire me to be more like Christ.

Missionary: Over the past couple of years my view of missions has expanded substantially. I am continuously meeting Jesus in places I least expect to, and the bus stop on the way to work seems to be one of those places. This is an example of what I think the kingdom of God looks like: where flawed men and women love each other in their weaknesses.

Mercy: (self portrait) God is amazing and I don't deserve him or his love.

Healing: Three parts come together, they become a whole, and the Trinity is relationship, our means to salvation. The forms are animorphic and soothing, emulating the healing nature, although not negating that it isn't always easy. There are jagged waves and rocks among the calm waters.

Evangelism: Over the years I have become somewhat cynical towards modern "evangelism" and its use of scare tactics and "4 steps to heaven" approaches. I am attracted to Paul's sermon on Mars Hill to the Athenians where he met the culture he was in and showed them where Jesus had been all along. In this way, my sculpture tries to reconcile the world of the Roman Catholic Jesus with the industrial, modern American Jesus. This is an idea of how we can meet people. It is meant to inspire people to evangelize in the context of the culture around them.

Apostle: This is Terry, a survivor of Katrina, a deacon, a cataracts patient, a father, and an Apostle. He ministers to the church as they come to him, now from all over the United States. His humility and wisdom are astounding. I am blessed by him and I hope more will meet him and be convicted by his words and actions.

Perseverance: Often as followers of Christ we fight what seem to be uphill battles. While our sinful nature and the world impale our purity and vision, we have the confidence and power of Christ's sacrifice to give us hope. Our suffering produces character, and our character is used to serve wisely and love others honestly. The old self is left behind and the new continually moves forward.

Knowledge: What is knowledge? We go through life learning and changing, continually being exposed to new life. I feel the modern perception of knowledge, wisdom, and imagination is too concrete to be tue. I feel that true knowledge comes from imagination and visualization and the acknowledgment of the unknown/spiritual as well as factual intelligence and learned discipline. This work tries to communicate how much of our minds and souls are mysteries understood by God alone.

Teaching: (this is the photo of the Man and his children) I met Peter Wholer during my first week at college, at the club fair for new students. He helped us start a student bible study and when his son Hosea was born he asked for me to take family photos. He is an example of leadership for his family and the surrounding community he nurtures through his nonprofit ministry and urban art center.

Thank you, Kyle, for using your gifts of God to glorify him!

All images are Copyright 2006. Used by permission of Kyle Johanson. All rights reserved.

1 Comments:

Blogger ButterPeanut said...

These are wonderful.

I went to Prince of Peace on Sunday and I was so impressed by them. I googled Kyle to tell him good job and found your blog instead. Rad!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home